The birth of Royal Pakistan Navy came with the creation of Pakistan on the historic day of 14 August 1947. Like other navies of the birth of the Royal Pakistan Navy came with Pakistan’s creation on the historic day of August 14 commonwealth; Pakistan’s Navy also had the prefix “Royal” until the country proclaimed a republic in 1956.
At 0800 on August 14, 1947, Rear Admiral J W Jefford, Flag Officer Commanding Royal Pakistan Navy, was hosted on his Flagship HMPS GODAVARI. The Admiral’s first signal addressed to the RPN officers and men was flashed to all ships and shore establishments.
Read:- How to Join Pak Navy
On partitioning, the ships’ PN share consisted of 4 frigates/sloops, four minesweepers, eight engine weeps, and shellfish defense launches. The Naval Headquarters first served in the Naval Officer in Incharge’s one-room office in Karachi. The NHQ first moved to a West Wharf house and later moved into Napier Barracks in Karachi.
The Armed Forces Reconstitution Committee (AFRC) separated the Royal Indian Navy between India and Pakistan shortly after independence on August 14, 1947. The Pakistan Navy also supported many Harbor Defense motor launches, with two sloops, two frigates, four minesweepers, two trawlers, four harbor launchers, and around 3580 employees (180 officers and a 3,400 rating).
Operation Dwarka is one of the most important events of the 1965 Indo-Pak battle, reflecting the bravery, commitment, skill, devotion, and teamwork of PN staff. The action aimed to take the strong enemy units out of Bombay for the GHAZI submarine to strike, destroy the Dwarka radar plant, minimize Indian ethics, and distract Indian Air from the north.
Read:- Join Pak Navy as PN Cadet
The Naval Headquarters received the following signal on September 7, 1965, when the boats were on their routine patrol: the working Party consisting of the PNS BABUR and KHAIBAR, the PNS BADR, and the PNS JAHANGIR must be in a 239-degree location, with the full power available at 120 miles from the Dwarka Light House on 071800 e Sept the team then carries out the Dwarka bombardment by 50 rounds per ship at midnight.
By 80030 E Sep, force shall exit from the bombing area and return at a complete pace to the present patrol zone. In addition to the enemy air threat, one or two enemy frigates can encounter in the area.”
In 1835 Commodore Commanding PN Flotilla thus developed its signal, the main characteristics of which were: 206 degrees Dwarka light at 6 miles was the initial location for an assault; city facilities and the obvious cheminée were to be the target, and the full radio silence was to be kept apart from the air-warning radar.
Read:- Pak Navy Ranks
The Fleet quickly overtook fuel and the course for the Dwarka operation. The ships were in the original position at midnight and loaded with all their weapons, and the men ready to pitch the enemy’s face traditionally.
It was blacked out entirely in the city of Dwarka, and only radar could detect the target. At the 0024 bombings, ordered ships from 5.5 to 6.4 miles from Dwarka light to continue. Expected Four minutes to finish the bombing, and fired about 350 rounds at the target. The ships instantly retired without loss or injury after the attack was successful.
Read Also:- NUST Entry Test
The adversary was not strongly resistant, and the ships entered their patrol area safely on September 8 in 0635. On a historic day of August 14, 1947, the establishment of Pakistan saw the Royal Pakistan Navy’s birth. The Pakistani Navy had a “Royal” prefix until a republic was declared in 1956, much as the rest of the Commonwealth.
The Rear Admiral J W Jefford flag was hosted at 8 pm on August 14, 1947, on HMPS GODAVARI, a flagship flag of Rear Admiral J W. Jefford, and sent to all ships and shore establishments with the first signal from the Admiral addressed to the RPN officers and men.
First Mechanical Training
Pakistan Navy’s first mechanical training institution was set up on Manora’s island and commissioned on December 1, 1949, as HMPS KARSAZ. It was established in 1952 at the West Wharf, PN Torpedo Depot. The dock was purchased from Italy and ordered as HMPS IQBAL to meet the growing demand for docking/reparation. Afterward, it opened dock at PN Dockyard Karachi on September 7, 1954.
Read:- Pak Navy Online Registration
The first course of PN Personnel at PN Staff College in the Karsaz area began in May 1971. The Department for Maritime Protection was set up on January 1, 1987. PNS PUNJAB was named as a depot at Lahore on June 8, 1996.
In 1974, they moved the Naval HQ to Islamabad and directed PNS ZAFAR to be a depot in Islamabad for PN staff. In 1976 Clifton Karachi opened its Maritime Headquarters with the computerized coastal surveillance Ferranti 5070 besides its PNS HAIDER depot. The Pakistan Navy-Marine Battalion was formed in 1990 to re-sign PNS QASIM at Manora as the Navy HQ.
Pakistan’s naval enchantment hanged at the Antarctica station of Jinnah in 1991. RDS MIANWALI, which took place at ORMARA that year, was named PNS AHSAN, an ORMARA staff depot. Missile Depot was commissioned in Manipur in 1992 as PNS AATISH. The NIGERIAN Naval Provost Branch was commissioned in 1994 as a depot. The Air Store Depot was commissioned in 1996 through PNS RAZA.
The ceremony “Jinnah Naval Harbour” (JNB) was held in 1994 to label the construction and foundation stone. In 2000, it finally launched the foundation.
Sinking of Khukri
During the Indo-Pak war in 1971, a small but powerful submarine force was the height of the Pakistan Navy’s aggressive efforts. HANGAR sailed via Indian Kathiawar to control Commander Ahmed Tasnim S.J. in the early hours of November 22, 1971. On December 9, HANGAR increased its patrol north to investigate some radio communications that had intercepted on its sensors to pursue the elusive enemy.
In passive sonar, two contacts have been picked up and marked as warships. The original distance was between 6 and 8 miles. Initiated the enemy’s chase, but the first attempt to target these ships failed because of a speed disadvantage. However, the submarine succeeded in anticipating the passage of target ships and by 1900 took a tactically favorable position on the route of the patrolling frigates. In 1957, the submarine-launched a 40-meter-long torpedo down the throat at the northern ship.
The torpedo was already monitored, but there was no blast. Therefore, they promptly fired the second torpedo on the approaching South ship, and a terrific explosion resulted. The torpedo’s mark was detected. When a fired the third torpedo, the other enemy frigate came right into the submarine. A far explosion was then heard that turned west to shallow waters to avoid.
Within two minutes of the magazine hit by the blast in this splendid action, INS KHUKRI, a ship of the 14th Frigate Sqn Squadron Commander of Indian, sank. 18 Officers and 176 sailors lost their lives, including the Commander.
The Indian Navy endured this as a heavy blow. Action by HANGAR showed the Pakistan Navy’s tactical superiority in sub-surface warfare, while BBC commentators lauded the Pakistan Naval initiative even after the battle. Considering the form, scale, and ages of the ships under his command, he said that the Pakistan Navy had acquitted the Indian Navy well.